One of most common type incidents that a private detective is requested to investigate is a slip/trip and fall. Below is primary information required after such an event.
1. CLIENT PEDIGREE (to include name, address, phone #, DOB, SSN,employment/scholastic and licensed driver info and emergency contacts)
2. WEATHER CONDITIONS
3. LIGHTING CONDITIONS
4. SURFACE DESCRIPTION (sidewalk, hallway, stairs…)
5. DEBRIS/DISREPAIR/CONSTRUCTION PRESENT
6. DESCRIPTION OF SURFACE (concrete, torn matting, tile…)
7. PRESENCE OF ANY WARNING SIGNS (e.g. wet floor cones, signs…)
8. DIRECTION OF TRAVEL OF PARTICIPANTS (northbound, descending steps…)
9. DESCRIPTION OF ACCIDENT (detailed, including, for exterior falls in snow and ice, how long the condition had existed)
10. ALCOHOL/DRUG INVOLVEMENT
11. WHERE WAS THE CLIENT GOING?
12. RATE OF WALK (normal gait, walking briskly… )
13. TYPE OF SHOES WORN
14. CONDITION OF SHOES (new, good, worn.. )
15. DOES THE CLIENT STILL HAVE THE FOOTWEAR?
16. OBSERVABLE INJURIES SUSTAINED (detailed)
17. MEDICAL ATTENTION RECEIVED AT SCENE
18. EMERGENCY/OFFICIAL VEHICLE AND PERSONNEL RESPONSE
19. STATEMENT(S) MADE AT SCENE
20. ADDITIONAL WITNESSES
21. DOES THE CLIENT KNOW OF ANY OTHER SIMILAR PRIOR INCIDENTS AT SAID LOCATION?
22. HAD THE CLIENT COMPLAINED TO MANAGEMENT OF EXISTING RELATED CONDITIONS?
23. DOES THE CLIENT KNOW OF ANYONE ELSE WHO MAY HAVE MADE SIMILAR PRIOR COMPLAINTS TO MANAGEMENT?
24. COPY OF CLIENT’S LEASE.
25. MANAGEMENT INFORMATION, IF KNOWN.
26. MUNICIPALITY INVOLVED?
Additional related searches you may opt to have your investigator conduct: real property search, weather check and prior incidents (lawsuits filed for similar situation v. the same property owner. Rarely, in these situations, do our clients ask us to conduct a financial background check on their clients (to determine if there are active liens, judgments, bankruptcies.. .), preferring to question their own clients on this matter. We do however have that capability and generally, that type of search, pending the case level, should include joint (spouse) information.
BNI Operatives: : Street smart; web savvy.
As always, stay safe.