This week we explore the situations and people most likely to be covertly surveilled. At the end of this article, we list the FBI‘s top professions most likely to encounter bugging situations.
Given the proliferation and ease of use now of “bugging” devices, the probability of being secretly recorded is higher than ever. So under what circumstances and which professions are most likely to get bugged?
– Companies that have publicly traded stock (even more at risk, those about to IPO)
– Corporate entities experiencing labor problems, union activities or are in negotiation situations.
– Companies involved in any type of litigation or lawsuit.
– Businesses anticipating layoffs
– Companies involved in the fashion, automotive, advertising or marketing industries.
While anyone can be the target of covert eavesdropping, some people are at a higher risk than others because of financial status, occupation, legal or domestic situation. These targets may include:
– Spouses involved in a divorce, child custody case or other serious financial situation.
– Teen drivers and kids (by their parents/guardians)
– Professors (by their students)
– Business people among themselves (intra/extra-company)
– Claimants by insurance companies
– Clients by salespeople
This list goes on ad infinitum, so when should you be seriously concerned?
You (and or someone close to you) is or have been:
– Involved in any type of litigation or lawsuit
– Been questioned or arrested by the police
– In the process of getting married, divorced, separated or recently widowed
– Running for any type of elected public office
– Recently filed an insurance claim
– Are an executive or scientist at any large company
– Engaged in political demonstrations or activism
– Are in the upper income brackets
Extreme High Risk Businesses (info provided by the FBI):
- Materials synthesis and processing
- Electronic and photonic materials
- High-performance metals and alloys
- Flexible computer-integrated manufacturing
- Intelligence processing equipment
- Micro- and nano-fabrication
- Systems management technologies
Information and Communications:
- Micro and optoelectronics
- High-performance computing and networking
- High-definition imaging and displays
- Sensors and signal processing
- Data storage and peripherals
- Computer simulation and modeling
Biotechnology and Life Sciences:
- Applied molecular biology
- Computational Chemistry
- Medical technology
- Surface transportation technologies
Energy and enviroment:
- Energy technologies
- Pollution minimization, remediation and waste management
Finally, we look at those professions that are particularly target for covert surveillance.
High Threat Occupations (again, according to the FBI):
– Police Officer
– Court Clerk
– Elected official
– School Principal
– Product Engineer
– Software Developer
– Executive/Scientist at a large development company
– Employees at defense contracting companies
– Ministers and other religious leaders
– Corporate Buyer or Purchasing Agent
– Labor or Union Official
– Fashion employees
– Advertising personnel
– Personnel managers
Paranoia is unnecessary; vigilance required.
BNI Operatives; Situationally aware.
As always, stay safe.